Blog 10: Making My PLN Engaging

One of the reasons that I did not regret taking the EDCI 338 course even if I do not specialize in education is that, this course thought me how I can properly build my network. Accordingly, creating Personal or Professional Learning Network (PLN) is something that I would not learn in my other classes. For instance, one of the important things I learned from this class is how to properly interact with people online in order to create a good digital identity. Before taking this class, I never gave much thought on my online engagements nor did I consider my social media as a platform that I could use to create my network or widen the scope of my influence. Because of this, even if I am already done with this class, I would still be mindful of my PLN interactions in order to establish my professional digital identity. Just as stated in Oliveira and Morgado’s article, citizens are dependent on ICT because it makes people connected in any place at any time (469). In connection to this, I would use my PLN to keep in touch with my classmates after graduation and connect with companies or recruiters at the same time.

In the field of Economics, having a digital identity means being present online in order to research on the current social events that can affect the economic activity. In other words, economists can use their PLN to collect and analyze data to gain insights on a certain country’s economy. Economists are not only online to connect with people, they are online to be able to have an idea on what is going on. In today’s setting, most of the jobs today would demand for e-skills. E-skills does not only pertain to one’s knowledge on different software and applications. It also pertains to how one handles his/her digital identity. E-skills is important because it can help one to find opportunities and keep up with the fast-changing demands of the knowledge-based society (Oliveira & Morgado 470). Hence, in order to be in-demand in companies, professionals must have reliable e-skills.

Looking at my PLN, I would say that it could help with my professional development post-course. This is because I have followed economists that I consider as my model because I wanted to be like them in the future. In addition to this, I also followed professionals who are currently in the field. I would sometimes start a conversation with them and ask them how they started their career. I would also tell them that I am a graduating student that is why I am interested in their career. So far, some of them are kind enough to give me recommendation if ever there is a vacant position. Aside from helping me with my professional development, I am also confident that my PLN is reliable when it comes to looking for professional opportunities. I have liked pages on tips and tricks on how to establish a career and I also created my LinkedIn Profile. I have already connected with headhunters and recruiters so I would know if there is job vacancy or none.

Works Cited

Oliveira, Nuno R., and Lina Morgado. “Digital Identity of Researchers and Their Personal Learning Network.” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2014, pp. 469-475, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-07485-6_44.