Blog 4: Your PLN and Inclusion

Considering my PLN, I would definitely say that it is diverse because it is composed of different people with different backgrounds, experiences, nationalities, languages, and expertise. In this learning community that I have created online, I would say that whenever there is a discussion, no one gets to have the loudest voice in the room as we all equally participate in the discussion. In other words, everyone was given the opportunity to share their ideas or opinions and no one is considered be one who has the right to give the final word or verdict. In other words, my PLN does not follow the structure in traditional classrooms where teachers discuss and then the class were only expected to listen. Because everyone is given an opportunity to share their thoughts, I was encouraged to participate in a variety of information sharing even if I cannot be considered as an “expert in the topic being discussed.” In my PLN, I also do not feel the pressure to know everything and sound like an expert, after all, I created my PLN to learn something new.

With my diverse PLN, I will be able to broaden my views of inclusion through getting to know and observing different types and kinds of learners. Instead of encouraging my PLN members to act and think the same, I will encourage them to follow Shelly Moore’s tips: be your authentic self, trust yourself, take risks, find opportunities, and reflect on where your community will lead you (Moore, “A Conversation” 4:58-4:60b). I believe that when different learners are given the freedom to be themselves, they will be more motivated to learn and they will also be encouraged to interact and work with other learners. After all, there is no sense in trying to make people to be the same. In fact, Moore explained that escaping or avoiding diversity is futile because the battle on homogeneity is a kind that has never been won and never will be (Moore, One Without the Other 10). Even in my personal setting of choice, I would still say that inclusion is actively embraced. This is because my professional setting also does not encourage its members to be green. As much as possible, the members on my Professional Learning Network have the freedom to set their own learning goals, ask questions, and share what they want to share. This is opposed to the traditional view of education where learners are expected to always do the same thing, work alone, work in rows, and respond to bells (Five Moore Minutes, “It’s Not Easy” 1:25-1:31).

After reviewing the videos and readings, I realized that inclusion is not all about physically putting together different learners with different needs. One also need to make sure that all the different needs of learners are being addressed. Just as Shelly Moore explained, “inclusive education must enable purposeful and meaningful education (Moore, “The Evolution of Inclusion” 3:36). In other words, learners must feel the need to go to school or create their PLN not because they were pressured by the peers or parents but because they found meaning in learning.

Works Cited

Five Moore Minutes a. “The Evolution of Inclusion: The past and future of education.” YouTube, 2 Oct. 2018, www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQgXBhPh5Zo&feature=youtu.be.

—. “Don’t Should on Me: It’s Not Easy being NOT Green.” YouTube, 6 Nov. 2018, www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeRNhz0nGts&feature=youtu.be.

Moore, Shelley. One Without the Other: Stories of Unity Through Diversity and Inclusion. Portage & Main P, 2016.

—. “EDCI 338 A01 Week 5 A Conversation with Shelley Moore.” YouTube, 2021, www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGx0ejnMLVc&feature=youtu.be.